Worried About Domestic Violence?

Domestic Violence: Get Shelter From The Storm

Domestic violence can have a long-lasting ripple effect. Whether you are going through a divorce, child custody case or another family law matter, an allegation of domestic violence can have a major impact on your case’s outcome.

I am David Meth, Esq., and I do not hesitate to help clients who have experienced domestic violence or who face allegations of domestic violence. As an attorney with more than 30 years of experience, I have handled hundreds of these complex cases. With compassion and strength, I will work exhaustively to protect your and your children’s rights.

Understanding Restraining Orders

A temporary restraining order (TRO) is a court order that temporarily restricts one person from contacting or coming within a certain distance of another. The court grants these requests after incidents such as:

  • Assault and battery
  • Criminal sexual contact
  • Terroristic threats
  • Kidnapping
  • Criminal trespass
  • Stalking and harassment

I can work with you to request a TRO after one of these terrifying incidents. I can also represent you at your court hearing, whether you are petitioning the court for a TRO or someone has requested a TRO against you.

Courts Do Consider Abuse When Awarding Custody

New Jersey courts prefer to award equal custody and parenting time to each parent. But the presence of domestic violence can turn this upside down. The evidence of abuse against a child almost always negatively affects the defendant’s ability to exercise parental rights.

Generally, the court will restrict the accused parent’s rights proportionate to the severity of the abuse. In extreme cases, if the court determines that a parent poses danger to a child, it may terminate this parent’s rights completely.

Learn More About Domestic Violence And Your Case

When you contact my office in Freehold, you can schedule a free initial consultation with me. We can discuss your case frankly and in detail. I return all phone calls and emails promptly. Reach me at 732-800-4898 or contact my firm online.